Monday, April 6, 2009

Enable Database Mail Alerts In SQL2008

While setting up our new SQL 2008 Boxes, I came across the interesting task of configuring SQL Mail. I mean, it would be nice to get an email when your job fails or logfiles grow too big, right? So I went to the web and started looking for articles describing the task.

The articles very nicely describe how to set up mail profiles and operators on your SQL Server. There is lots of material there, so I won't bother to add non-original content. But they do leave out a critical piece, which is to configure SQL Agent to use the profile you have defined. This is funny because my Systems Admin and I were trying to figure out how the two were tied together. The answer is on the Properties Tab of your SQL Agent. Just navigate to SQL Agent, Properties and you should see something like the below. Once you configure your profiles, set up your operators and fill in the below box, you should be good to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment